Hippo @ Zoo

Hippo @ Zoo

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Old-School Organic Bug Killer


Two years ago, Kat & I and friends Misty & Ben attended a garden show at the Will Rogers Exhibition Center. I picked up, for a dollar, a small plant with unusual leaves. The gal selling them said it was a Shoefly plant, and was an annual. I figured what-the-heck, lets try it. The plant took off and grew to be about 2.5 feet tall with lots of leaves and light purple trumpet flowers.
Later in summer it put on spikey orbs which would later open to reveal seeds. We saved a pod for next year.
I was curious about this thing, so I Googled it. I found that it is native to South America, and was used 100+ years ago as a natural pest control. I was curious about this thing, so I Googled it. I found that it is native to South America, and was used 100+ years ago as a natural pest control. So I followed the directions, which are here:
Grab a handful of leaves and stems.
Mash them up.
Add milk (I used about 3/4 cup Braum's low fat)
Let sit for flys to ingest.Right now I've got this container sitting out back on the grill shelf (don't want the dogs getting into it). I'll take another pic tomorrow with the results.

3 comments:

  1. GAH! Those pods are freaky looking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, two days later it is a mush that flies are interested in, but I can't tell if it is killing them. We don't have a big fly problem anyway, but I thought more than one at a time would be interested.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you put it by the trash can I noticed a big reduction in the fly population from the first day to the next. Day one trash can cover in flies and by day two I only saw two flies.

    ReplyDelete