Hippo @ Zoo

Hippo @ Zoo

Friday, July 2, 2010

The one good thing about grubs....

So, our lawn has grubs.
This, I have discovered, is due to me using a high nitrogen synthetic fertilizer which blasted the turf clean of bacteria and single cell microbes. This may sound great, but those microbes eat grubs. With them gone, the grubs get fat & feast on the grass roots.
The life cycle goes on though, and fat grubs eventually grow into June Bugs that attract a new predator.

No, not Max, but his toad buddy at the bottom center of the pic.
We've had toads eating the June Bugs on our porch for the past few years. I never knew why the bugs loved our place so much.... I've learned organic controls for grubs in Milky Spore (a disease that makes them stop eating), and nematodes (microbes that eat grubs). Both are a natural defense and can be bought online. I'll eventually give them a try, but for now it's all up to the toads.

3 comments:

  1. AWWWW I LOVE MAX HE IS SO PRETTY AND LOOKS LIKE A VERY LOYAL DOG! HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cute. Has Max tried to lick the toad? When my dogs do their mouths get foamy. IT'S WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute dog! dang june bugs they are all over my parents house.

    ReplyDelete