Hippo @ Zoo

Hippo @ Zoo

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Free water! (you pick up)

Rain collection has been used in Oklahoma since the time of the pioneers. It fell out of use when modern irrigation systems became cheap & reliable enough to be useful for farms. It was brought back a bit with the dirty hippies, but then fell off the radar of public awareness. Today, with the green (notice I didn't capitalize) movement, rain collection systems are gaining in popularity as a way to keep gardens growing during drought conditions. Of course they are now more high-tech (and pricier!) than the ol' whiskey barrel & bucket style.

Home Depot, Lowes & other "big box" garden centers even carry them now. Most run $50 to $150, offer varied sizes & styles, and look similar to this:




Yeah, not too cute, eh? At least it is usefull, in that it is fast filling and has directions in American English (as opposed to the usual "Engrish" instructions written by Chinese 7-year-olds). Most connect to the downpout of the house gutters, and offer a spigot to connect to a standard water hose.

If that thing is just too ugly for you, there are some very pretty ones available for more cash. Cherry wood finishes and such, but they start at $250. Since I support the cheap-asses frugal persons, building one yourself is always an option. If labor is free, total cost would be just materials runing $30 to $50.

Of course, with most barrels being around 6- or 70 gallons, they fill up fast. Especially on days like yesterday where we recieved twice our average June rainfall in one day.

(This pic is from 10 am; nowhere close to done that day.)



Yeah, 60 gallons wont cut it for that mess. However, there are companies in OK that can install 5000 gallon systems on your property. These can be buried or free-standing units. Cost is not cheap, and honestly wouldn't do much to prevent flooding. Thing is, it would be nice to have access to a huge amount of free water when it's 105 degrees next month.

12 comments:

  1. That is interesting I didn't know those thing existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I used to work at in Alaska had a dual system, when it didn't rain enough then it would kick over to the plumbing system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about this either but I think it is really interesting and sounds like it would be a great money saver in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good call about the over 100 temp we will be complaining about here in just a minute. The weather here is so crazy. My boyfriend is from Washington state and he is constantly baffled by the weird weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was about to ask about plumbing! That's cool. Does it come with filters? Can you use it for drinking water?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just had a new irrigation system put in our back yard underground and it kept our playroom from flooding like it did in the last hail storm. However, since the new gutters being placed on our home was incomplete and water was running off the back of our house like a relentless waterfall our carpet did get a little moist but nothing like before...Thankfully they came out and completed the gutters early this morning and repairs to our room will be completed soon. Hopefully we'll be safe from any future storms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, I'm from WA too. Took me a few years to get used to OK.
    LEB, it's for outside, non-drinking use only. I've read that the rainwater picks up gross chemicals from the roof. Not enough to harm plants, but not good for people. I haven't seen a filtered system in my 30 min of poking around, but I bet it could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great idea! Why doesn't everyone do this (like apartment complexes...mine certainly got enough water on Monday)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you for posting this. Your blog is in my top 3!! Collecting rain water mixed with composting are the greatest things for home gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What part of Dub-state are you from? Why are you in Oklahoma? Punishment is why I am here, lol. My plan is to move to Washington in December after I graduate. My sister is in Vancouver, WA, and my twin brother is out near Leavenworth, WA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm from the coast, Hoquiam. AF sent me to Tinker, and I never left. :)

    ReplyDelete