Hippo @ Zoo

Hippo @ Zoo

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fun with Garbage: how to compost



I've started a compost pile in the corner of my yard made of grass clippings(actually I'm just too lazy to drag it to the curb, so....).
It's easy to do as this short video explains, and it is amazing to see how fast the stuff degrades. You can throw in almost anything biodegradable. In addition to grass, I've been throwing in Kat's rose clipings, coffee grounds & filters, cardboard, junkmail, homework, bills, and kitchen waste. It will take about 6 months to have finished compost, but I'll post how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome... if I had a yard, I would do this as well. Remember when Mom used to feed all our veggie kitchen scraps to the guinea pigs? LOL Do you think if you put in ALL of your coffee grounds and filters, it might up the acidity too high? I sometimes put leftover coffee into my watering can for my lily and... the coffee plant (yes, it is a cannibal now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have some compost bins. They make your flowers really purdy when it's finally ready to use. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete