Hippo @ Zoo

Hippo @ Zoo

Friday, June 4, 2010

"I wonder what else I don't know."

We watched this video in class. Short & interesting, I highly recommend it.





Then after work I watched an episode of Futurama with Kat.



Both kinda spoke to me as to why I'm not a biz major anymore.
I remember being a kid, perhaps 9 or 10, and discussing job opportunities with my sister. She called me lazy when I said I didn't want to get a job. It wasn't that I was lazy, but I just didn't see the point. As a kid I spent time with friends at school (only reason I was there. grades prove it!), then come home and spend time with family and fun games & toys. Why would I want to get a job I hate, so I can spend time away from people I like, just so I can pay stupid bills and have some cash left over to buy lame junk the TV told me to buy...?

This feeling came back when I was wasting time in Price Business School at OU. I wanted to point out the stupidity of it all, how it is all guesswork with nothing proven by the scientific method. I understood it just fine (made a B in macroeconomics without understanding the professor's heavy accent), but the only reason any of it exists is money. I just don't care.
Then, in an entry level psychology class, I learned about how one component of intelligence is our ability to adapt. The example was running out of coffee filters, so you use a paper towel as a substitute. I was stunned by the thought of something I just wouldn't have seen (btw, I tried this trick & it works fine). Why am I not flexible in my thinking and creative...?

This feeling hit me again about a month ago when I picked up The Organic Lawn Care Manual, by Paul Tukey. Seriously, it sounds stupid, but this is a great book. Even though it says "manual" on the cover, it is easy to read and I've been reading it like a novel. Keep in mind, I've worked in a garden center for 4 years. The stuff this book is showing me that I had no clue about is amazing! Common sense stuff that I have been programmed to ignore. 100 years ago, everyone did organic farming. 200 years ago, everyone knew how to grow their own food. Today, with all of our knowledge and high-tech fertilizers, I can't get a simple lawn to grow in healthy. I should have a dark green lawn with no weeds year round. Instead, I've bought into what the TV told me to do, bought the poisons, then come back next season to do it again.

Well, no more of that. But how do I think outside the box when I'm so well trained? I don't have an answer to that right now, but I'm sure I will look like a nut while I go through the relearning process. I've tried the compost tea from my other post (The Secret is in the Soil video). As Kat said about it when Ken's creativity video was over; "I think it takes a lot of creativity to dump something home brewed that smells like shit on your lawn. "

2 comments:

  1. I agree Mr. Robinson's video was pretty interesting and funny too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived in a house with a yard id pick thatr book up, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete